Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mama

Mine
I go
Look what I do
I want that
I like it
Can I have more
You promised
(mad at you)
I know, I know
Hey, let go of that
Here, you can have some
(aren't I good)
Do you want to walk with me
(I like you)
Why do I have to?
(you're unfair)
Christmas is my favorite time
(I get presents)
Did you get all the problems done
(I can't do this myself)
Yeah, she thinks she's so special
(wish she liked me)
Should I go out for football
(then people will like me)
If you loved me you would
(I want you and you should help me with that)
Sure, I'll do it for you
(you owe me)
Well, Mom and Dad, I know you two
haven't been happy
(how can you do this to me)
(good, I'm sick of you two fighting anyway)
(you son of a bitch Dad)
(screw both of you)
(I'll never cry in front of you)
I got in!
(I'm on my way)
This homework sucks
(I'm in over my head)
Yeah, I'll go to the party with you guys
(Maybe I'll get laid)
(if not I'll just get really wasted)
I can't right now, I'm really
into Karamazov.
(I've finally found something worth reading)
(I can't believe all the bullshit I've wasted
my time on)
He's the best professor I've ever had
(he knows more than I ever will)
(he makes me forget all this other crap)
That was fantastic
(I hoped you liked it too)
(But I got off anyway, so...)
So tell me all about your day
(I don't care really)
(But I like you, and you care)
(So I'll listen and pretend to be interested)
It will be you and me forever
(Love is great)
(I can't believe you really love me back)
(It's too good to be true)
Yeah, work was good today
(it was a complete pain in the ass)
Sure, Bill, we'll do it your way
(idiot)
That's the most beautiful baby ever
(and she is)
(and she's ours)
(and I'm scared as hell when I hold her)
(how could I love anyone this much)
OK, we'll move to a bigger house
(hey, whatever you want, babe)
Tell me about your day
(just as long as I don't have to tell you
about mine)
So how long was dad alive after the heart attack
(oh my God)
(Daddy)
(why have you left)
(I should have returned your calls)
(thank God that's over)
I'll do my best, sir
(it's about time)
(finally some decent money)
(now what)
I know I should listen more
(whatever you say)
Hey, we both decide on the kids' schooling
(they're just as much mine as yours)
(another power struggle)
(I know what's best)
We'll get through this
(God, please just make everything
come out all right)
The doctor said it's benign, dear
(thank you God, I'll be better now)
(darling, I don't know what I'd do without you)
(she really is everything to me)
Well, now you know what a hangover is
(stupid kid)
(serves you right)
(I should smack you)
(please don't hurt me like that again)
I've never been so proud of you
(you're the best daughter in the world)
(my baby girl)
(how did I get this old)
The woman you're marrying is terrific
(she's just like your Mom)
(I hope you know what you're doing)
(now maybe you'll stick to a real job)
We don't seem to make love as much any more
(am I losing it)
(it's not like it used to be)
(I guess you're bored too)
(I get so tired now)
You don't have to call me sir or Boss
(but don't forget that I am)
Movin' a little slow this morning
(I didn't do anything and I still hurt)
So I guess that makes you Grandma
(my God is he gorgeous)
(it's better this time around)
(another part of my youth dies)
I want to thank everyone who's helped me
out over the years
(I never want to see half of you again)
Sure, retirement is great
(what the hell do I do now)
(I guess my contribution is finished)
(if it went by that fast then how much time...)
Yeah, my kids are the best
(but they didn't always listen)
(couldn't they have done better)
(hey, their problems are theirs, not mine)
You and me to the end
(who else would have put up with me)
(there's parts of you I'll never know)
(I miss the fire)
(I miss how many times we could do it
when we were new)
(you've always been there for me, and I don't know why
but I'll take it)
(I'll forgive you if you forgive me)
(You will always be the definition of love)
(I'm so sorry for the times I let you down)
(I hope I've been good to you)
Six months, is it?
(Please God, not yet)
(I'm not done yet)
(Just let me see her wedding)
(I'll beat this)
Oh, that's better
(it's really, really good to not hurt)
I love you
(I don't know what it all was)
(I don't know what's ahead)
(thank you for loving me back)
(you're more than I deserved)
Darling
(the light is so beautiful)