Monday, December 10, 2007

I Don't Want to Look At It

from that godlike perspective, the one where our world

shrinks

to the size of a single atom in relation to the Earth, where we are virtually nothing in the inexplicable

vastness

and terrifying emptiness

because then

the four women and the two girls and

the baker downtown who sells those great sweet rolls

and that old lady who walks up the highway every day

and the artist getting the paint in his eyes from that damned chapel ceiling

and that woman being devoured in the firestorm

and the really great sex those two just had

and the frosted climber standing at the top of Nepal

and that guy trudging home from a hard day a hundred thousand years ago

and the girl who just jumped into the ocean for the first time

and the people who will see the shore of a world not yet known

won't matter at all

and it will make no difference what anyone has ever done to anyone else

or ever shared with anyone

and it will not matter whether we loved or tormented each other

and all of THIS-beyond-my-words-to-express will be laughable and contemptibly small

and I suppose there are some people who can live with that view

and even take comfort in it

but I guess I'm not one of them.

6 comments:

Bill Moser said...

Joe, this is a great poem. I check your blog regularly and always enjoy it, but this is completely different. You must be getting out of LW mode, huh? Have a great Christmas.
Bill

Joseph Miller said...

Thank you, Bill. That's high praise coming from you. You have a great Christmas as well.

Zach said...

out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the Christian faith?

Joseph Miller said...

zach, I'll be elucidating that at some time in the future. Suffice to say that I was raised a Christian but I never really fully embraced faith.

Andrew H said...

Wow, this is both true and great! I believe you may have touched on this in class one time- I enjoyed listening to your philosophical thoughts just as much as your interpretation on history. Let me know when you get done with you book so I can get a copy!

Joseph Miller said...

Thank you, Andrew.