Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I Don't Want Him to Be

a white statue or a martyr writhing on his t-shaped deathbed or some effeminate looking European with light brown long hair and fair skin, and most of all I don't want him to be a


virginal

chaste

"pure"

eunuch.

Because if he really was one of us

if he really was a man

then there were nights that he couldn't get to sleep

because he was thinking of her

and he wanted her

and he burned for her

and there was the time

(or times?)

when the two of them held each other

in fierce embrace

and came to know every contour

of each other

and slumped in golden exhaustion afterward.

Because that's part of what a man is

and I want him to be a man

so he can really be someone

I can finally understand.

[Note: revised from the original. I changed the last line.]

3 comments:

Zach said...

It is because He was pure and of a virgin birth that He was able to be our savior. Just because He was not portrayed in the Bible as the man He truly was does not mean He wasn't. He did love, because He was man, and i personally believe that He was married, but that is a huge debate.

He was just like you and me. And He didn't sin. His pureness is what allowed Him to be our perfect sacrifice.

He can relate to you on many levels, and you can talk to Him. All you have to do is say, "Jesus..." and He will be all ears.

Joseph Miller said...

Your faith and sincerity are admirable, Zach.

pablo said...

Joe, I really like this one.

Zach, I have to say I am unable to relate to yout mindset at all. But then, who am I to say?...

He was not just like you and me: he had connections.